Aloo methi is my all time favorite potato recipe!! Its easy & quick and full of flavors. Actually Methi (Fenugreek leaves) is one of my favorites herb, I use it all the time in most of the daal's (lentils) or other north Indian recipes like kadhai paneer, palak paneer etc.
In this recipe I used dried Fenugreek leaves also known as Kasoori methi, which has distinct flavor from fresh fenugreek leaves and you can surely interchange between fresh & dried fenugreek leaves.
All you need:
2 medium golden potatoes
2 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
1 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/4 tsp Carom seeds
A pinch of Asafetida
1 tbsp Coriander powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp cooking oil
Salt to taste
How to prepare:
- Wash and cut the potatoes length wise (like for french fries) and keep in cold water.
- Heat a pan, add oil, add asafetida, cumin seeds, carom seeds and let it crackle.
- Add potatoes (without water) with all the spices, dried fenugreek leaves and salt (except garam masala).
- Cover the pan and let it cook on medium heat till potatoes are done but not falling apart.
- Keep turning potatoes in between, to prevent from sticking.
- When potatoes are cooked, remove the lid and roast a little more to get extra crispiness on top.
- Add garam masala and lemon juice.