Spicy Purple beans

Ahhh..Today is Thursday and its time for my trip to local farmers' market. Every time I am here, I look for something special... Today I bought Purple beans...I had never seen purple beans before. The seller offered me to taste them and wow... they tasted great and were fresh... I also asked her suggestions on best way to cook.






Purple Beans are also called Magical Beans because they turn green when cooked. I decided to create Roasted spicy Purple beans to complement Beans sweetness & crispiness with spices :)


All you need:
100 grams Purple Beans
1 Garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Red chili flakes
1 tsp Lemon juice
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Olive Oil to cook


How to prepare:

  • Wash the purple beans and try to take off veins from both the ends.


  • Heat oil in a pan. Add garlic, saute for a few seconds.
  • Add purple beans with chili flakes & salt and cover the pan. Let them cook at medium heat till color magically changes to green. 


  • To prevent from overcooking, keep turning beans in between. Notice change of colors in the pic above.
  • Once cooked and tender crisp, beans will turn bright green.


  • Add lemon juice to cooked purple beans.
  • Serve hot as sides to soup, salads & burgers!!
**In case you don't find purple beans, try with green beans aka french beans.
I wonder how our cooking experience would have been in case everything when cooked changed color .. :)

1 comment:

  1. nice & very tempting. cant wait to have the magical beans. shall ask my wife to try with green beans.

    ReplyDelete