This reminds me of home, whenever my mom would roast baingan (eggplant) on gas flames, we knew what's for dinner and entire home will smell of...Baingan ka bharta!! Very popular among north indians, a dish loved by everyone and tastes best when baingan (eggplant) is roasted on direct flames.
All you need:
1 garlic clove finely chopped
1 small onion finely chopped
2 small roma tomatoes finely chopped
1 green chili finely chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp dried coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp garam masala
1 tsp amchur (dried mango) powder
Oil/ghee to cook
Salt to taste
How to prepare:
- Roast baingan/eggplant on gas flames or in oven at 200 degree celcius, till it is evenly roasted. Ensure eggplant's outer surface is soft and its skin start cracking.
- Leave it on a plate to cool.
- Peel off the burnt skin from roasted eggplant. Make sure entire skin is peeled off.
- Heat ghee in a pan on medium heat and add cumin seeds & garlic.
- Once its start crackling, add chopped onion and caramelize the same.
- Add chopped tomatoes, green chili and red chili & coriander powder with salt. Saute all till it starts leaving oil.
- Add baingan/eggplant and mash it with either masher or flat spatula.
- Add green peas & cover the pan. Let it cook for 5 mins on slow heat. Keep mixing in between.
- Once baingan and peas are fully cooked, add amchur and garam masala.
- Saute baingan ka bharta for 2 minutes and turn off heat.
- It's ready to serve with dash of butter, breads & raita.
In case you have some bharta leftover from last night dinner, add boiled potato and pav bhaji masala. Breakfast is ready!!